Providing long-term mental, emotional and physical support for eating disorders so you can reclaim your life
How I Can Help
Chances are if you are here you have been struggling with your relationship with food for a while. If food isn’t first and foremost a way to nourish your body, if eating causes you shame and guilt, if food is on your mind more than it isn’t, if your worth is tied to the food that you are eating and you are sick of this vicious cycle you are in the right place.
Our team is here to help you break free of these patterns with food that are dictating your self worth and overshadowing your ability to live your life. Through individualized support we are here to support you no matter where you are in your relationship with food through customized treatment plans, a safe environment and ongoing support.
What is an eating disorder?
An eating disorder is characterized by some kind of dysfunctional pattern around food. Yes, there are official eating disorder diagnoses including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Orthorexia and Binge Eating Disorder, but you don’t need to fit into one of these diagnoses to experience dysfunctional eating or stress around food. For many of us this stress around food is so normalized we don’t even realize the toll that it is taking on our bodies and minds or the way that it is impacting our functioning on a daily basis.
Without support eating disorders can be isolating and all consuming. It can feel like the only way to get through the day is to manipulate food, while at the same time this manipulating and thinking about food is exhausting you and preventing you from living your life.
What to Expect
Your relationship with food and the way that you nourish yourself can impact every system in our body. From our mental state to our physical bodies, our team is here to support how your relationship with food is impacting you. We are here to support your relationship with food, rebalance your physical body and go beyond the disorder itself to see what is underneath including treating any other mental conditions present. At some point in life this eating disorder was developed to protect you, but it is not protecting you anymore. We are here to support you so that we can find space outside of the eating disorder. Space that is safe for you to be comfortable in your body and live your life. Let’s get started.
The 5 Pillars of Eating Disorder Support
- Mental and emotional support: The first step is acknowledging the relationship that you have with food is complex and extends far beyond the food itself. We will start by asking Why is this even here? What purpose is this disorder serving? We will work to identify and navigate the underlying thoughts, conditions, experiences, feelings that made it necessary for you to turn to food for support.
- Resetting the digestive system: Our mental and physical body are so interconnected that when one is stressed or overwhelmed the other will often follow. We will work to support and reset your digestive function and associated symptoms so that it physically feels okay to eat and nourish your body.
- Optimizing physical health: We look at your physical body including you nervous system, adrenal gland and hormonal health to bring it back into balance so that you can find COMFORT in your body.
- Relationship with Food: by acknowledging your relationship with food, we work to foster a sense of safety and freedom so that food is not the enemy but something to nourish and support you so that you can live your life.
- Long term and relapse support: Eating Disorders don’t just end when your body is back in balance. We offer long term support to navigate the many different phases that come with having an eating disorder so that you can thrive long term. As our lives change old patterns can be activated and that is okay. That is us just trying to survive. We are here for those moments.
Dr. Sisam offers visits both in-person and virtually.